Runes are letters written in Greek language or Germanic language os Ancient times. It is said that the Viking God, Odin, pierced his own heart with its spear and tied it to a tree, tree of life, (Yggdrasil) for nine days to learn the meaning of the runes, as the runes were the source of their fate. Viking believed Odin made this sacrifice to gain profound wisdom and power.
The runes were not just letters to them, but they were the magic words of wisdom and intellect, gifted to them by their wise god. They carved runes into the stone to honor their dead ancestors or mark the graves of their horses. They believed since the runes head meaning, they could talk to supernaturals. The runes were the magical spells of success and protection.
Nowadays, there are so many resources, and books are available to find the deeper meaning of runes, but the real meaning is still unknown, they are mysterious even today as they were in ancient times.
There are two types of runes, which are:
- Elder Futaharak: These 24 runes were compiled during the 2nd to the 8th century were divided into three groups multiplied by eight. The first group was taken charged by Frey and Freyja, the god and goddess of fertility. Similarly, the second group was taken care of by Heimdal and Mordgud, the guardians of Asgard or Norgud, and the third group was by Tiwaz and Zisa.
- Younger Futaharak: It is also known as staveless runes or the runes of Scandinavia. These younger runes were 16 in number and were used in the 8th to the 12th century. After the 12 century, the new language was adopted by Scandinavian people.
Here are some of the runes with their meanings:
- Ansuz: It symbolizes Insight, wisdom, truth, and communication.
- Berkana: It symbolizes liberation, birth beginnings, and personal growth.
- Kenaz: It symbolizes knowledge, creativity, inspiration, and torch revelation.
- Dagaz: It symbolizes break-through, dawn, day, and awareness.
- Ehwas:It symbolizes partnership and horse transportation.
- Fehu: It symbolizes wealth, abundance, money, and luck.
- Gebu: It symbolizes love, partnership, marriage, generosity, and gift.
- Hagalaz: It symbolizes destruction, change, loss, and hail-storm.
- Isa: It symbolizes challenge, standstill, an Ice.
- Jera: It symbolizes peace, rewards, harvest, and year.
- Kenaz: It symbolizes knowledge, inspiration, creativity, and torch.
- Laguz: It symbolizes sea, flow, lake, renewal, and water.
- Manaz: It symbolizes mankind, friends, self, and culture.
- Nauthiz: It symbolizes necessity, delays, hardships, and need.
- Inguz: It symbolizes growth, commonsense, and fertility.
- Othala: It symbolizes home, property, plenty, and goddess.
- Pertho: It symbolizes feminine, mystery, magic, and pawn.
- Raido: It symbolizes journey, destiny, travel, and wagon.
- Sowulo: It symbolizes energy, success, health, strength, and sun.
- Tiwaz: It symbolizes leadership, authority, honor, and justice.
- Thurisaz: It symbolizes catharsis, change, and thorn.
- Uruz: It symbolizes courage, strength, power, and ox.
- Wunjo: It symbolizes peace, fellowship, success, and joy.
- Algiz: It symbolizes self-defense, protection, and shield.
- Ehwaz: It symbolizes strength, yew tree, reliability, enlightenment, and stability.
The real meanings of runes are lost with the timing nut the historians are still working to discover all runes with its meaning and al information. You can read about runes on the internet and learn their phonetics on youtube. Nowadays, the runes are crafted into the jewelry or people made a tattoo of the runes. If you want to buy rune jewelry as a sign of good luck or wisdom, Viking Symbols. The rune rings would be a very unique and special gift to your fiancé or wife. Viking Jewelry is trending after these famous tv shows like Games of Thrones or Viking. Buy Yours now.