Having a handgun gives you extra peace of mind if you were to have a break-in. Material possessions are not the most important thing in life, but it is important to protect them. Even more important is the protection of your home and family’s lives if you are threatened or invaded by a criminal or unknown thief.
The Second Amendment of the Constitution guarantees the right of individuals in the United States to defend themselves from intruders, invaders, and people who are trespassing if they feel their lives (or the lives of others) are in danger.
Must Read: VAPING IN GENERAL AS A NEW RELIGION
Statistics on Hand Gun Ownership
While 42% of Americans do own at least one handgun (according to the Washington Post), one of the issues that need to be dealt with is where to store your handgun when it is not in use. The goal should be to keep people in your home safe from accidents while making your gun easily accessible when you need it most. You don’t have time to waste when you think there is an intruder in your home. You need to have a plan in place before anything happens, just as you would with a fire plan, storm plan, or another emergency.
Best Places to Hide a Gun
While having a gun is necessary to your security, what you don’t want to do is to give potential burglars access to these guns. How do you solve this problem?
The answer is simple. You need to keep the gun in a place that you will be able to get to before the invader does!
Often, a burglar may come across a weapon once he enters the house that they could use against you. For example, keeping knives out on the kitchen bar or cabinet is a common habit. But you would not want an intruder to be able to get to these before you can arm yourself. If you are concerned about break-ins, consider locking up your knife collection when you are not using it and keeping sharp objects or other potentially dangerous objects out of the way when you retire for the evening.
A well-known former CIA officer, Jason Hansen said in his new eBook, Spy Secrets that Can Save Your Life that anything can be used for a weapon. But clearing your entryway and kitchen area of natural defenses is a good idea in the event of a burglary.
The key to staying safe is to make sure that you always have access to your gun while keeping it within reach anytime you need it. As long as your gun is close to you and away from a potential thief’s range, you should stay safe in most situations.
Remember also that burglars are not usually armed robbers. But if they are caught in your home trying to rob you, they may search for a weapon to defend themselves. Don’t be caught unaware.
Below are some helpful tips as to where you could place your handgun if you don’t have anywhere else to put it. Many of these ideas are creative, and some are simple. But the key is that they all use a non-traditional hiding place where an intruder is the least likely to look.
- Put it inside an empty cereal box. This would be a place that no burglar would have the wit (or the time) to figure out. You should place it in the bottom of an empty cereal box that is lined up beside other cereal boxes. But, if you have small children or people with disabilities, it’s important to mark it someway, so you’ll know that’s the box with the gun inside. Always keep the safety on as well.
- Tape it underneath a nightstand or drawer. Placing your handgun underneath a nightstand close to your bed or under a drawer is a good place to put it. If you hear someone break in, chances are, you could get up and get the gun from this location in a few seconds before the intruder makes his way to you. Some people feel secure knowing they have their handgun this close while they sleep in the event of a break-in.
- Place it inside a hollowed-out book. This is an old trick, and it can still be used today. People used to hide liquor in a Bible in the old western movies. But you can hide anything you want. Many online stores offer hollowed-out books that you can purchase to hide your gun in.
- Place it in a desk or bedside table drawer. Putting it in a desk or bedside table drawer is another good place to keep your handgun. It gives you quick access to it, and a burglar is less likely to look there or have the opportunity to do so before you get to it.
- Put it behind your bedpost. If you live in a high crime area, you may even want to tape your gun behind your bedpost. Then, you can grab it easily before an intruder comes into where you are. This could be more dangerous, however, so make sure you have the safety on to avoid it going off inadvertently.
You can probably think of many other possible places to hide your handgun for easy access to you that will be protected from an intruder.
For an easier solution, you may want to invest in small safes for your home. These convenient, small storage solutions allow you to get to your gun when you need it fast while protecting it (as well as your other valuables) from intruders.
It’s also important to invest in a good gun case. Having the right gun case protects you and others from possible accidents regarding your handgun while making it easy to carry and transport. Additionally, you may want to place your pistol in a case while it is stored in your home, as well. Take a look at the best gun cases on the market and decide which one will meet your needs.